Sunday 13 May 2007

Gotta keep it regular. Like Bran, bitches.

So this week has been a bit lax. I am still crippled by Tascam not supporting by recorder. I really need to set up my mac to do multitracks, but it will have to wait till I rewire everything. Each weekend seems to pass by without me wiring it all how I want, so as I said above, the progress here is stifled a bit.

I've also been busy generally, and not playing that much. I have a bit on my mind, and haven't really been feeling like playing that much. The songs I was working on prior to starting the blog [including one with lyrics!] have pretty much stopped dead, as has my plan to go back and look at what I've done in the past. Maybe next week.

That said, things aren't totally dead. I am currently working on this funky little thing
I made in a C Blues / C Pentatonic kinda feel. It really hasn't progressed much beyond this basic lead line though.

[disgracefully recorded onto the mac using a microphone - I tried a bit of compression, but it still sounds sad - I really need to set up the tascam :(]

There are two distinct basslines in this tune. While in terms of core notes, they are very similar, they have a markedly different feel in terms of timing. This has made it hard to play in the song context, but has given me a good practice focus in this fairly uninspired week.

What I am doing is just a simple alternation between the two basslines, trying to keep it continual without inventing a third bassline as I try and recover from the futz. I've been trying it a few different ways - say four of each - two of each - etc. The real challenge is playing them one after the other, bar in, bar out. I am not quite there yet. I can do it once, but I end up repeating myself. Anyways,here's an example of what I am on about:

The difference in the note lengths between the lines is as much a part of it as the timing of the notes themselves, I think. More practice to be had, as usual!

Of course, at almost 23 years of age, one might begin to question the point of it all, particularly when your 8 year old second cousin can pull off shit like this:

Look @ More from this user. Her older brother is just as evil...

No comments:

Post a Comment